pieces of my day and snapshots of my quilts




Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Lake Quilt

As promised, here I am!! A bit later in the day than I anticipated, but only 'cause I was busy taking care of real life (not sewing...). I promised you a glimpse of my latest quilt, and here it is. Measuring in at 38 x 52", it is a log cabin-esqe pattern. While working on it, I couldn't stop thinking about the lake.... beaches, boats, salty water (oh wait, is that the ocean? that works too...). Summer is over here (have I bemoaned that fact to death already?), but I still picture this quilt spread out on a sandy spot with a tanned child stretched out on it, arm draped across the forehead, searching for animals in the clouds. Mmmmhmmm, that is about perfect. Sigh. But, since that isn't possible for 6 months or more, I propose another use for this quilt. See?




This quilt is smaller than the average throw quilt - which makes it easy to have it land anywhere. In these colder months ahead, it is ideally suited as a manageable throw for your legs while you try to ward off the chill with a coffee, a book, and a nearby fire. Okay, that's pretty good, too.





Then, when life resumes (aka summer), you throw it in with all the other beach supplies for your day spent traipsing around the lake (or ocean, that works too). I'm aware that the picture above isn't taken on sand. Funny thing - I don't have any in my yard... Or, bring it on your boat with you (if you're lucky enough to have one, or know someone who does), and wrap it around your legs to protect you from the bracing wind that always is, no matter how hot it may be on the beach.




Since I wanted this quilt to be enjoyed (and slightly mistreated), I didn't use my customary Kona Snow anywhere on this quilt. The front is some random quilting cottons picked up here and there, including Denyse Schmidt, Amy Butler, and Kona solids. The back is different - it started it's life as a heavy cotton tablecloth (not used as such, but that's what it was). My mom picked it up for me at a charity sale raising money for widows in Africa (sorry, I can't remember which country) by selling things they had made. This was hand dyed, and really adds an interesting dimension to this quilt. Hand made and hand dyed does not a fragile cloth make, however. It has already been washed in hot water and doesn't bleed or react negatively in any other way to the abuse of the washing machine. I see this particular backing taking a lot of abuse with the sand, grass, kids, food, drink, what have you, that comes with a trip to the lake (and then washing up beautifully when all is done). All of this is bound together with a favorite of mine, Kona Celery. Don't know why I love that color so much....
That's it for today, folks. Check back soon for a pillow case for a lucky pieced by Facebook reader. That could be you! Click on the Facebook link on the left to visit my page and "like" what you see. Giveaways shall happen!! Don't forget to take a peek at my albums!

Soon!

1 comment:

  1. This quilt would like great in my house ;) I love those colours. My dining room is that green and my living room is what Tyler now calls "toothpaste blue."

    ReplyDelete