pieces of my day and snapshots of my quilts




Saturday, August 14, 2010

My husband's favorite quilt

My latest quilt has been declared my husband's favorite. I don't really know what to do with that. My husband as an eye. Not in the sense that he is missing one, but rather has an eye for proportions, color, scale and such. I like this quilt but it's not my absolute fave. Does that mean I don't have the eye if I don't think this one is the be all and end all? Hmmmmm..... How 'bout I show you it and you can help me decide.



The front - stripes with a random square pieced stripe thrown in. The grey is Kona solid Ash, and the purples are a few different Kona solids - I can't find my color card right now, but if you're desperate to know which purples, I can dig around for the card. The green flowers are Michael Miller something or other, and the green dots are Monaluna Mingle.



Straightline quilting seems to be all that I am capable of lately. I used to only free motion, and I tried it in a corner of this quilt and it was embarrassing - even to myself. NOT like riding a bike. Thankfully, I love the lines!! This quilt is stitched 1/4" from each seam line, with a few extra lines thrown in on the white stripes. I also changed the thread color on white to a purple so it would stand out more.


I love the squares where the quilt lines cross. So textural.




A small pieced section on the back... again.....


The quilting lines on the back - see the two different colors of thread? I like it, I hope you do too.


Since this has been declared my husband's favorite, I feel a bit of pressure to outperform the next time and make a new favorite. I'm going to attempt to ignore that pressure and make something new that I love. I have my fabric arranged in a few stacks on my sewing room counter, ready for the decision of what's next. I'll let you know when I know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment