pieces of my day and snapshots of my quilts




Saturday, August 28, 2010

Another Fractured

This quilt has been done for over a week now, but our weather has turned very spring-ish here - and not in a good way! It's been nothing but rain, which means that I have not gone outside to take pictures of this quilt. The kids still get sent outside, but I avoid it :) So, after waiting for a week to take cute outside pics of this quilt (I have them all staged in my head), I gave in snapped them inside (with the kids as quilt holders). I guess the ideas will stay in my head for another quilt. So, without further ado, here is Fractured 2.

The front. Red, white, and black in all it's glory. The white binding doesn't stand out very much in this pic, but it really is a crisp finish to the whole thing. I love it! White binding will be a repeated element...someday...


The back of the quilt, which really lives up to the quilt's name. I love how all these broken pieces were used on the back. At first all these pieces were garbage due to a very poor initial job of squaring the quilt (I felt like such an idiot). But placed in with the ash color backing, they really make the back look fractured, too.

Close up of the binding (front).

Close up of the back - quilting detail, binding, and tag.


And now, I will leave you with a peek at the current project I am working on. I'm trying a "quilt as you go" technique, and while I'm loving the technique, I am totally second guessing my fabric choices. I still often have a "freak out" moment on every quilt where I wonder if it is going to turn out at all. I'm chalking up the fabric doubt to that phenomenon and plugging on.
Due to this extended doubt, this quilt seems to be dragging on a little. I hope to have it done this week, but the kiddos head back to school tomorrow, and I'm determined to instill a semblance of order back into my life. With one lonely girl left at home, we shall see how that works out. Hmmm, I just noticed you got a peek of my socked foot in the pic. Yes, it's been that cold!
Off I go to tackle this first school week, I'll check in soon to let you know how it's going!

No comments:

Post a Comment